|MISSION & MINISTRY CAMPAIGN|
|Liberty United Methodist Church
6511 Houston Road, Macon, GA 31216
478.788.5343 email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.libertyumc.org
MISSION & MINISTRY CAMPAIGN
Liberty United Methodist Church is a church in mission and ministry celebrating two centuries of service; orchestrating a third century of significance.
INTRODUCTION:Liberty Church was inspired by God to be a place of faith, hope and love. Macon was founded in 1823 and that same year a group of settlers formed what would become Liberty Church. In 1834 Mrs. Laurancy Atkinson donated ten acres and a two-story wood frame church was built. Liberty Church would become the first organized church in the Rutland area and second only to Mulberry United Methodist Church in the greater Macon area. For nearly 200 years this legacy of service has been passed on to generations. We are now poised to expand this legacy of mission and ministry to Macon, middle Georgia and the world.
Our mission is to follow Christ and make disciples. “Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.” (Matthew 4:19) How do we become fishers of men? By showing Christ’s love in action; by meeting the physical, social and spiritual needs of children, youth, adults and seniors in Macon, middle Georgia and around the world through programs, people, facilities, media and services. Three times our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, asked Peter if he loved Him. Three times He told Peter: “Feed my sheep.” (John 21:15-17). Our call is clear and certain; let us reach out to a lost and lonely world and give them Christ.
Using funds from a $7.7 million Mission & Ministry Campaign, we want to build, staff, support and promote:
- A new multi-use activity and community, evacuation and emergency center;
- A music and art facility designed to provide dedicated space to conduct training programs, practice and performing arts;
- A life skills training and development facility designed to provide dedicated space for conducting life skills training and programs;
- A crisis response, home improvement training and deployment center and program.
OUR CURRENT REALITY: Liberty is one of the few United Methodist churches with a growing membership.
- Our children’s ministry has grown phenomenally, to the point that available facilities are totally inadequate.
- Our sports and recreation programs have expanded significantly.
- Our praise and worship service has more than doubled.
- Our music ministry has out-grown available facilities.
- As these activities continue to grow in number and in frequency, the need for additional space intensifies.
- Liberty is positioned for great work in God’s Kingdom. Our location in South Bibb County, our strong and growing local congregation and our vision to become a flagship church in our denomination are all strengths.
- Our mission is simple: we exist to make disciples of Jesus Christ. We engage in this mission through the five pillars of ministry – worship, nurture, discipleship, evangelism and mission. The call of making disciples is a biblical mandate from Jesus himself in Matthew 28 when He said: “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- Our mission manifests itself in the following elements:
- Increase our focus on ministry to children and youth by emphasizing knowledge of the scriptures, God’s plan for salvation and development of discipleship skills.
- Bible study, music, arts and crafts will be the primary tools to accomplish this result.
- Liberty will continuing to examine our effectiveness in ministry and will make changes/additions as necessary.
- These are our dreams and visions and they can become reality. The apostle Paul said: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” – (Philippians 4:13).
The scope of the Mission and Ministry Campaign involves developing facilities, staff, programs, services and resources to grow individuals, couples and families of all ages in the community, city, region and world. Liberty will continue to grow as a Christ-centered church for the 21st Century with an expanded faith-centered message, ordained by God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and communicated by modern technology.
- Renovation to existing facilities done over a period of time by our members and will include crisis response and home improvement facilities, programs and services will involve space for the teaching of skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical and roofing. We want to expand our current facility to include a multi-use shop and secure space for two fully equipped crisis response home improvement trailers.
- Youth worship and teaching activities: Dedicated space and amenities for 100 youth that will be modern and functional in every aspect. These facilities will be designed to provide space for their contemporary worship, social gatherings, musical concerts, indoor athletic activities, etc.
- New Construction which will provide additional space and amenities for:
- Multi-use activity center used for social gatherings, worship, drama, and other activities is proposed to seat approximately 500 people around tables or in chairs “theatre style.” This area will include a stage with lighting, sound and video systems as well as space for staging and storage.
- Full service kitchen that will include an adjoining area where culinary skills will be taught to 10-24 students at a time. Young people and adults can be taught canning, dry packaging of food, spices and staples, and other culinary skills.
- Health and fitness center used for health and exercise equipment that would accommodate 10-30 people. Health and wellness classes, programs and incentives including sports apparel, weekend excursions, vacations and trips.
- Meeting rooms to provide space for a total of approximately 200 people is proposed. This will be a mixture of rooms of various capacities that may be combined or divided for various uses. All of this space is anticipated as multi-use.
- Evacuation and emergency center: A regional evacuation and emergency center including provisions and layout for use as a shelter for various needs and events. The design will include the requirements for bathrooms, showers, sleeping supplies and furnishings.
- Design considerations for preschool, day programs, and kindergarten: The complex design will include considerations as to the requirements and codes for use as children’s educational programs. These requirements are added in the event Liberty decides to do this mission and ministry outreach at any time in the future.
- Children worship and teaching activities: Dedicated space and amenities for 100 children that will be modern and functional in every aspect. These facilities will be designed to provide space for their contemporary worship, social gatherings, musical concerts, indoor athletic activities, etc.
- Expansion of our music ministry: The Campaign involves a strategic expansion of our music ministry. We will refocus Liberty Church on the powerful and enduring ministry of music by creating programs and facilities to become a Center for Performing Arts. The Center will include a 50-seat (approximately) choir rehearsal room (part of the renovations), instrumental training and practice rooms and a liturgical dance studio (part of the renovations), designed to facilitate teaching and tutoring musicians and dancers.
Liberty has developed a plan for maintenance and expansion of our facilities to meet our current and future needs. We have determined that the first phase of implementation of the plan must be the addition of a new multi-purpose building on the property adjacent to the existing Vinson Building. The following is an architect’s rendering of that building and how it will connect to the existing structures:
The design and space allocation for the various uses and programs that have been identified will be addressed in detail by a design architect skilled in this area.
As Liberty begins its third century of service, God is calling us to a broader/higher level of faith, family, mission and ministry. We must be equipped, engaged, enabled and empowered by the Holy Spirit to help children, youth, adults and seniors to be bold disciples in a secular and sometimes godless society. Therefore, we are embarking on a campaign of multi-generational significance. This campaign will include facilities, programs and people to redeem our generation and inspire warriors for the next. Our primary mission and desire is that all who come into contact with Liberty will know Jesus, become more like him and follow him.